Saturday 7 January 2012

Empowered Through Science


It's surprising how using the scientific method can change your outlook on life and the career you wish to have. It's also astounding the connections you can make, and the amazing people you can meet and continue to stay in contact with.

I was assigned to participate in science fair on my school level; little did I know my engineering project would take me to Houston, Texas where I would be competing against international projects at the International Sustainable World Energy, Engineering, Environment, Project Olympiad (I-SWEEEP).

My engineering project focused on light pollution. Light pollution occurs when the light is shining up into the sky, as well as on the ground. There are several environmental issues surrounding light pollution.  Light pollution affects bird migration and the growth of flora and fauna. Light pollution also wastes valuable energy that could have been used to direct light in a conservative way.

To fix this problem, I engineered nine unique light shades to direct all light downwards. I tested each of these light shades with three different types of light bulbs; fluorescent, incandescent, and LED.  The best design was the ninth light shade. This design was a rectangular prism with asymmetrical flaps.  When the LED bulb was put inside, the design gave off the least amount of light pollution, lit the intended area, and illuminated the area consistently.

I have always wanted to travel outside of the United States, and interact with other cultures. I-SWEEEP gave me this opportunity. At I-SWEEEP not only was I able to interact with the most creative international scientists, but I also made friends who I am able to stay in contact with using social networks.
 
At I-SWEEEP, 70 countries across six continents were represented. From these countries, 601 students competed against 440 energy, engineering, and environment related science projects.

There were so many things I loved about being at I-SWEEEP; I loved the down time, judging, and the award ceremony. All the contestants and their guardians stayed at the luxurious Hyatt Regency-Downtown Houston hotel. The great part of all being in the same hotel was the opportunity to interact with the many nationalities through talking, playing games in the lobby, or even competing in the nightly water-polo game in the swimming pool. 

I-SWEEEP provided field trips to the Houston Museum of Natural Science and the NASA Space Center of Houston. At the museum, we explored and watched a 3D IMAX movie. While attending the Space Center, we learned everything from the Space Program to what astronauts eat in space.  We were even given free time. My group from Utah chose to use this time to explore Downtown Houston. 

Judging was my favorite part by far; the row I was on was considered the "party row." Between our judging, we congregated in the center of the row and had fun talking about everything from our projects to planning a trip where we could all visit each other's states and countries. Our row was made up of students from Portugal, Indonesia, Brazil, Jordan, Hong Kong, and the USA. The other great thing about talking with each other was we were able to understand and accept differences between our cultures and countries. 

When I first arrived at I-SWEEEP, I thought I understood the pressure the international participants must have been feeling. They would be flying for many hours across the globe to Houston, Texas.  Most of the international participants didn’t speak English as a first language, and some had never been in the United States before.

My new international friends informed me of the extensive process they underwent to attend I-SWEEEP. Their countries had spent so much money to allow them the opportunity to share their ideas and projects with some of the young brilliant minds of the world. Not only were these students competing to receive an award, but they were also competing for the honor of their home country. I was humbled by the continuous hard work and pressure of my friends. I truly hoped they would be rewarded for their persistence, even if I didn’t place.

The award ceremony was amazing. There were many generous foundations and colleges who sponsored the award ceremony. They awarded everything from scholarships to laptops. The most exceptional part of the award ceremony was seeing my friends (representing their states and countries) from “The Party Row” receiving placement awards. The prolonged enthusiasm and support given by all the contestants was an exhilarating feeling. The finishing touch was when all the contestants from Utah placed in the energy, engineering, and environment topics.

I didn't want to leave Houston, and all the new friends I made (we figured we might be able to go on that trip to all our countries when we were successful, wealthy scientists), but we all hoped to be able to attend next year’s I-SWEEEP.

Although I-SWEEEP was May of 2011, I still stay in close contact with my friends from I-SWEEEP; mainly my dedicated and benevolent friend from Indonesia. 

Not only have I stayed in contact with my amazing friends long after I-SWEEEP, but I also knew what I wanted to pursue as a career.  I want to be a Chemical engineer who not only participates in a fun “everlasting science fair,” but who also is working to help the world through scientific discoveries.

Amber Barron [USA]

No comments:

Post a Comment